This is a big problem:
According to a World Bank study based on unannounced visits to government schools, 25% of teachers were absent from school, and only about half were teaching. Absence rates varied from 15% in Maharashtra to 42% in Jharkhand. The study also found that salary is not the determinant of teacher absence—the more educated and experienced teachers who are paid more are as frequently absent as contract teachers who are paid less.
What is the solution?
Apparently, incentives work. Here are the suggestions:
- Daily cash incentives for coming to work
- Inspect schools regularly
- Have better infrastructure at schools
- Have a paved road to or near the school
- Monitory teachers daily by cameras